Set on 660 acres of lush pastures, rolling meadows and mature woodlands filled with ancient oaks, beeches, ash trees and sycamores, Carrigglas is one of the last remaining walled estates in Ireland.

With its celebrated avenue and Palladian courtyards designed by James Gandon, who also created The Customs House and Four Courts in Dublin; and a magnificent Victorian Gothic manor house by Daniel Robertson, who was responsible for the famous Italian Gardens at Powerscourt; Carrigglas has been described by Homes and Gardens Magazine as “truly delightful” and “a treasure”.

Originally the seat of the Bishop of Armagh, Carrigglas became the home of the Huguenot Lefroy family in 1837, remaining in their ownership until now. Thomas Lefroy, who commissioned Carrigglas, was a friend of the novelist Jane Austen. They were romantically involved for a time, and it is believed that she based the character of Mr. Darcy, hero of Pride and Prejudice on him.


 
info@carrigglas.iephp mysql flash Home | Contact Us | Disclaimer